On November 29, 1814, coffee farmers in the hill districts of Clarendon, St. Elizabeth and the then parish of Vere, petitioned to have a separate parish established. The petition requested a new parish, with a capital which would meet their religious, civic, judicial and administrative needs. The main reason for this petition was the vast distance between the hill districts and the commercial and administrative centres of all three parishes. On December 13, 1814 the parish of Manchester was formed and named after the Duke of Manchester who was then serving as the Governor of the island. In 1942, Manchester was discovered to be the site of one of the largest deposits of bauxite in Jamaica.