Yardie Cosmetics

WESTMORELAND

$11.99
Westmoreland was named by the English colonists in 1703, after the English took over the island from Spanish rule in 1665. Savanna-la-Mar, the capital, was developed as a port from which sugar was exported and dates back to around 1730. The Spanish name Savanna-la-mar means “plain by the sea” and refers to its environment. The town of Frome, located some 5 miles away from Savanna-la-Mar, is one of the few remaining sugar factories in the country. The fertility and lush vegetation of the parish is greatly maintained by the various rivers and streams. The popular Great Morass, found in the parish, is a large swamp area, which covers thousands of acres. Plant and animal material have collected on this land over the centuries and is thereafter mined as peat (a great source of energy).  The wetlands, common to the parish of Westmoreland, serve as a natural sanctuary to Jamaica’s wildlife.

Recently viewed